There are many types of allergens that can affect us when we are indoors.
The term house dust mite usually refers to those species of the mite family Pyroglyphidae that are known to commonly occur in the dust of human dwellings. House dust mites are microscopic organisms that primarily live on dead skin cells regularly shed from humans and their pets. Dust mites are harmless to most people. They don’t carry diseases, but they can cause allergic reactions in asthmatics and others who are allergic to their droppings.
Skin cells and scales, commonly called dander, are often concentrated in lounging areas, mattresses, frequently used furniture and associated carpeted areas. These sites often harbor large numbers of these microscopic mites.
Beds are a prime habitat. A typical mattress can contain tens of thousands of dust mites. Bedroom carpeting can contain nearly 100,000 mites in one square yard. Mites prefer warm, moist surroundings such as the inside of a mattress when someone is on it.
Ash, cigarette ash, incinerator ash, combustion products, fiber, synthetic textile fibers, wool, cotton, paper, and silk, fingernail filings, food crumbs, glass particles, glue, graphite, hair (human and animal), insect fragments, oil, soot, pain chips, plant parts, pollen, polymer foam particles, salt and sugar crystals, skin scales, soil, spores, stone particles, tobacco, wood shavings, and much more can all be in the dust we inhale. Van Bronswijk, 1981
For most people, house dust mites are not harmful. However the medical significance of house dust mites arises because their microscopic cast/skins and feces are a major constituent of house dust that induces allergic reactions such as allergic rhinitis, asthma, and eczema in some individuals. A dust mite allergy can be genetic, but like many allergies, it can also develop over time. It is estimated that anywhere from 18%-30% of Americans are allergic to dust mites’ waste products, and almost 50% of American homes have allergen levels that are high enough to cause a dust mite allergy. In addition to producing allergic reactions, dust mites can also cause nasal polyps, growths within the nose.
Some data suggests an exposure to mites in the first crucial year of life can trigger a lifelong allergy. Prevention of exposure is difficult, yet can help with dust mite sensitivity.
Mold is a ubiquitous organism classified as microscopic fungi that live on plant or animal matter. No one knows how many species of fungi exist, but estimates range from tens of thousands to perhaps 300,000 or more. Most are filamentous (threadlike) organisms and produce spores. These spores can be transported by air, water, or insets. All are fungi which mean they are many-celled organisms that reproduce by sending tiny seeds called spores into the air. Molds need four things to grow: food, air, the right temperature, and water. Fungi grow naturally outdoors. Molds are also very common in buildings and homes and will grow anywhere indoors where there is sufficient moisture. They like dark, damp, warm environments and can grow on anything from basement walls to garbage pails to houseplants, and many building materials. Moisture can come from water damage, excessive humidity, water leaks, condensation, water infiltration, flooding, leaking roofs, leaky plumbing, sewer backups, and frequently overflowing washing machines.
The key to mold control is moisture control. It is important to dry water damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth. If mold is a problem in your home, clean up the mold and get rid of the excess water or moisture. Fix leaky plumbing or other sources of water. Wash mold off hard surfaces with detergent and water, and dry completely. Absorbent materials (such as ceiling tiles and carpet) that become moldy may have to be replaced.
Mold and its spores contain allergens, meaning that in some people they will manifest sensitivity to fungi (molds). A major concern associated with exposure to biological pollutants such as mold is allergic reactions, which range from rhinitis, nasal congestion, eye irritation, and hives to asthma. In occupational settings, more unusual allergens (bacterial enzymes, algae) have caused epidemics. Probably most proteins of non-human origin can cause asthma in a subset of any appropriately exposed population. Certain molds can cause infection, in the same way bacteria do. Molds may also produce musty odors known as volatile organic compounds that may cause irritation to the eyes, nose and throat.
Once you are found to be allergic to mold then you can discuss further treatment options with your physician such as medications and/or immunotherapy (allergy shots) to mold.
Almost 62% of U.S. households have pets, and more than 161 million of these pets are cats and dogs.* Unfortunately, millions of pet owners have an allergy (allergic rhinitis) to their animals. There is a myth that animal allergy comes from the pets hair in actuality the proteins are found in a pet’s dander, skin flakes, saliva and urine which can cause an allergic reaction or aggravate asthma symptoms in some people. Now pet hair or fur can collect pollen, mold spores and other outdoor allergens causing allergic symptoms.
Contrary to popular opinion, there are no truly “hypoallergenic breeds” of dogs or cats. Allergic dander in cats and dogs is not affected by length of hair or fur, nor by the amount of shedding.
Giving up a pet in order to prevent allergy symptoms isn’t always necessary. There are treatment options to treat symptoms caused by your loving pet.
“My son has been going to Dr. Mery for over a year. I always appreciate how attentive the nurses are to him when checking him out before he is released after his shot. This office is very clean and organized as well.”
“My whole family goes to Dr. Mery. He has been a major factor in our family’s health and well-being. Dr. Mery is compassionate and understanding. He is determined to help those who come to see him and truly cares for his patients.”
“Hill Country Allergy has been a very good experience for me these last few weeks. A great team has been providing me with a thorough job of evaluating my allergy needs and implementing a specific plan to reach my specific goal of setting my allergies under control. All staff is efficient, courteous, and very knowledgeable of my specific concerns. I am very pleased with my current service.”
“The staff at Hill Country Allergy & Asthma is nothing short of amazing. They greet you with a smile and they actually remember my name; you are not just another face. They are patient and take the time to explain things even if you ask them the same questions every other time you are there. The technicians providing the shots are extremely careful and service is usually quick due to the check in system they utilize. They are well organized, with excellent customer service.”
“Whenever Julie is the one who gives me my shot, I almost look forward to getting the shot. Her sunny disposition brightens my day. I did say that it almost makes me want to get a shot!”
“I have been very pleased with the great care I have received from Dr. Mery, as well as his entire staff. They are all great!”
“I look forward to getting my allergy shots every month. The office staff is so friendly and professional. It is a very nice and relaxed atmosphere too.”
“Dr. Mery saved me! I struggled for months with a skin reaction that three other doctors were unable to get under control. It was clear from the onset that Dr. Mery is truly invested in his patients as he spent so much time with me trying to understand my situation and helped me tremendously with my condition. Dr. Mery and his staff genuinely care for their patients!”
“My son saw Dr. Mery years ago for his bad allergies. He was tested, started shots and has been on shots for a couple of years now. We cannot begin to express our gratitude to HCAA for helping our family. Our son is completely different kid – he can now play on sports teams and enjoy playing outside with his buddies! THANK YOU DR. MERY!”